LevelUp Reader allows kids to complete running records on a smartphone, tablet, or computer equipped with a microphone. Teachers can easily access and evaluate the recording with their admin login.
Accuracy, Comprehension & Fluency
While one-on-one running record assessments have been used in classrooms for many years, LevelUp Reader automates and enhances the process with a set of intuitive, easy-to-use digital tools based on unique text passages that range in Lexile levels from BR70L to 780L.
Running records are short text passages students read aloud under your observation to assess their oral reading accuracy, comprehension, and fluency. Running records provide immediate feedback on your students’ reading progress and let you document it over time.
- Assign running records to any student any time
- Students create recordings which are automatically uploaded for evaluation
- Teachers evaluate records with easy-to-use scoring tools
- Scores are calculated automatically
- The evaluation process takes just a few minutes for each student
Running records help to identify the specific needs for each student so teachers can assign the necessary books and lessons for each student to improve literacy.
To find out more about running records, read the article “How to Use Running Records.”
“Assigning running records in LevelUp Reader is an easy and convenient way to assess my students’ reading fluency. It allows my students to record themselves reading and gives me the ability to complete the easy online rubric anytime. This is one assessment my students enjoy taking as they love being able to record themselves reading and listen to their recording later. The electronic rubric is easy to complete as I mark reading errors, and LevelUp does all the calculations for me. Since the recording is archived and my notes are saved, I can use the recordings and rubrics when I conference with students about their reading. LevelUp running records are a game-changer!”
Quick and Easy Scoring
Running record assessments are designed to complement Lexile scores, and do not take the place of intake assessments in assigning student reading levels. Running records help you assess reading fluency, detect problems with reading strategies, and determine where to focus your efforts with individual students.
The following error types are included in running record assessments:
- Omission: When a student skips a word.
- Insertion: When a student adds a word that doesn’t appear in the text.
- Mispronunciation: When a student incorrectly pronounces a word (remember to take dialect into account when considering this error type).
- Substitution: When a student uses a different word than a word in the text.
- Repetition: When a student repeats a word in the text.
If you already have access to LevelUp Reader, you can use this form to get support. You can also give us a call at 800-237-9932. If you do not have an account, you can use this form to request additional information or a demonstration. If you are ready to get started with a free trial, click here